Saturday, December 27, 2008

Sheisse, Gesundheit!

Hey everyone!

I've been in Germany for about 4 days now, and already feel that I have learned so much about myself and about the culture around me. Germany is so beautiful! I love Diez... it's definitely one of those towns you feel you could move to. The community here that was a part of World Youth Day is so welcoming!

I am incredibly blessed. :)

Janina, the girl I am staying with, is absolutely wonderful. Her family makes me feel as though I am one of their own.

From the moment I got off the plane, it felt like I was finally home. It is so hard to explain, but my heart aches with joy, now that I am here! Every moment I think "I am in Germany. I have wanted this for so long, and I am here!" It is very nice.

Diez is small, like Grand Haven, but actually smaller. There aren't any fancy buildings or skyscrapers. It is quaint, with churches, gardens, parks, and cathedrals. Friday we took a walk from home and walked down the side streets into the outskirts of town. They have a waterfall/river of sorts that formed from a flood many years ago, and it was beautiful! We walked by all of these old rusty gates and garden patches...and as you walk, you can almost see the whole view of town. They have hills and dips, so if you take a winding road down, and look back, it seems as though everything is farther above you...

We walk to mass. I love that. I love that I am with Catholics. It is the same church I stayed with for World Youth Day, and as we were at Mass, I wanted to cry, because the people are so beautiful here. Everyone has the face of God. I see God in each person I meet, or watch, or walk by. It felt so good to sit in the church again and remember all the good times I had here 3 years ago. :)

When I walked out of the baggage area with my bags in Frankfurt, I looked up and saw two guys stand up at the same time to greet me. It was Michael and Matthias!!!!!!!!! These are the guys I became very close to when I was here before. We have kept in touch since then, but...my word... I tried so hard to act cool and keep it together. I felt a flood of emotion that I cannot decipher. I don't know... my life has changed since I was introduced to Diez. I am just incredibly thankful, blessed, and moved. Ahh, I missed the guys so much! It was really good to reunite. We immediately picked up where we last left off. They took me out to a coffee bar in Limburg ( a larger town near Diez) and we had coffee and sanwiches. Then we walked downtown, and there are all these street vendors selling vegetables, loaves of bread, cheeses, etc. It is really cool!! :) I wanted to just stand there and look around and soak everything in. But also, it is becoming more a reality than a dream for me. At first, I had the mindset of a tourist, but now, I feel more myself, more at home, and more relaxed. I thought I would be anxious, but if anything, I am more comfortable than before.

so we walked downtown and to a little bookstore...it was really great. They have incredible food here! I am fed well, and everything is fresh from the markets and healthy. They make their own noodles, their own bread, all of their cheese and veggies are fresh on platters at every meal. It's refreshing all around!

It is grand here. Nina, the girl I am staying with- she and her family are sooo wonderful! Her parents are so kind and so sweet! so much love and welcome and respect. :)

Their windows open out at night, and there are not any screens. There is no snow here, so the air is cool and crisp and amazingly refreshing.

Last night Janina, Michael and I all went to cocktail bar in Limburg last night. That was probably the best night I have had since I got here! I haven't laughed that hard in so long, and I just feel so comfortable and right being here. After a few drinks, everything seemed twice as funny, and we all ended up enjoying ourselves all around! Prost!!! (cheers auf deutsch!)

tonight is my last night with the Rosso's. For this, I am sad. :( I have fallen in love with Janina's family and have learned so much from them. It has been such a great experience, and I was so honored to experience Christmas with them!

Tomorrow I will stay with Matthias until the New Years, and then I will stay with Michael until I go to Vienna!

I purchased my ticket to Vienna today, and normally they are 100€ or more, but there happened to be a special today, and I got a FIRST CLASS ticket to Vienna for 59€!!! Heck yes!

I will leave Diez Jan 7. I do not want to go, but am excited for the adventures that lie ahead. When classes are over, I would like to definitely come back here for awhile. I will look for a nanny job and see about staying through the summer. :)

Okay, I must go now!

Tschüss!

.bella.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh I miss the food! Also, I love how particular Germans can be about their doors and windows, when they are open and when they are shut, etc.

Miss you!

Ashley Ruth said...

My heart is warm after reading this, Amy. I am so happy you are well and happy. <3 Can't wait to hear more!

Br.Francis said...

Just got hooked up to this thing! Sounds so wonderful over there and am glad you have a chance to experience it again.
Will continue to monitor your blog with excitement!
Enjoy the smells and people around you.

Anonymous said...

Amy!

Everything is funnier after two drinks!

I wish I was there with you- but not more than I wish I was here with my family. Which I already am so that makes no sense.

Find the monastics- they will truly show you the best beer and places to pray in town. Guaranteed!

Also, you can bet that the coolest Germans there will be ones who know who Johnny Cash is and listen to his music. But be careful because they will be the most dangerous as well. Hmmm. Nevermind that thought.

Just be good and have fun.

Adam